Beginning April 15, 2018, the Ronald McDonald House of Delaware will require a criminal background check for all adult guests, including the patient, who are 18 years of age or older. This step is being taken to ensure the ongoing safety and security of our guest families and is in line with many other Ronald McDonald Houses across the country. Additional information will be available on our website beginning April 15th. You may also call our Guest Services’ office at 302-428-5317 with any questions.
Due to the large number of requests to stay at RMHDE, we are unable to guarantee families a room at the House. It is important that all families have a backup plan for lodging during their hospital stay.
Who qualifies to stay
- Families of children who are seriously or chronically ill or injured who are receiving treatment at an area hospital and live more than 25 miles away.
- Families are welcome to put in a room request for the night before admission or an appointment.
- Families are asked to leave within 24 hours of discharge from the hospital. Families with outpatient medical appointments can request to check in 24 hours prior to their first appointment or checkout 24 hours after. Please speak to guest services for more information.
- The House asks for a donation of $15 per night, per room per family. This only partially offsets the $72 cost per night to accommodate a family in one room.
- If you have a financial concern regarding this donation, please speak with our Social Worker or a Manager. No one is turned away based on the inability to pay.
Know before you go
- We supply families with linens for the room, including sheets and towels.
- No medications or breast milk are permitted to be stored in the kitchen’s refrigerators for safety purposes. A small refrigerator can be placed in your room.
- In order to keep costs low, each family is asked to clean their own room before checking out.
- Due to fire safety codes, we can only permit five people per room.
- We can only give one room per child in the hospital.
Room Request process
We operate on a room request, not a reservation system:
- Unfortunately, due to the nature of medical situations, we can never guarantee a family a room. We ask families to put in a room request either online or by phone. Then families are instructed to contact us by phone between the hours of 5-8 PM EST the night before their expected arrival date to confirm a room. You may contact us at 888-656-4847.
- All families must be checked into the House before 8 PM the day of arrival. Once you are at the House, a volunteer will check you into your room and give you a House tour. Please bring a photo ID for every adult staying at the House. You will receive one access card per room that allows you access to the House 24/7. Check out time is noon.